• Home
  • News & Events
  • WVU School of Nursing student selected for AGE-ADAR Scholars Program

WVU School of Nursing student selected for AGE-ADAR Scholars Program

Hannah Gowarty, a student at West Virginia University School of Nursing, was selected for the Appalachian Gerontology Experiences - Advancing Diversity in Aging Research (AGE-ADAR) Scholars Program.

This program allows underrepresented students from MSTEM fields to take courses on aging and health disparities in Appalachia, as well as participate in intensive hands-on research through a two-year paid program.

“I hope to learn more about the research process in general and hope to have what I learn guide my practice in graduate school and in my career,” Gowarty said.

Students will also take part in courses and workshops focusing on written and oral communication skills and professional development. The scholars chosen for this program will have opportunities to work with a group of scholars and one-on-one with faculty mentors in their disciplines during their time in the program.

“When you look back on the history of nursing, you recognize how much the field has grown and the role of nurses has expanded,” Gowarty explained. “I think it is important to continue growing opportunities for nurses in the future.”

Gowarty continued, “I appreciate the opportunities being an AGE-ADAR Scholar will afford me to expand my personal and professional horizons. I hope to be able to use the opportunity to add to my education and to everyone I work with in clinical and small groups.”

Gowarty started her year-long tenure in the program with a poster on "Caregiving in the Mountain State." Throughout the 2024-25 academic year, Gowarty will expand her knowledge base in the area of caregiving, which she says is an especially important area of concern for residents and providers in West Virginia.

ap/8/23/2024

MEDIA CONTACT: Wendy Holdren
Director of Communications and Marketing
WVU School of Nursing
304-581-1772; wendy.holdren@hsc.wvu.edu

chmoe